Monday, February 8, 2010

Album Of The Week: Jan. 11th


David by The Radio Dept.

I have a confession to make; I'm obsessed with The Radio Dept. In my opinion these 3 Swedish lads are doing something incredible. Most of those familiar with the Radio Dept. probably heard them first on the soundtrack to the film Marie Antoinette. After I saw the film I searched out and bought as many of their albums, singles and EP's as I could find. There is something about their music that I can't quite put my finger on that really hits home with me. Comparisons have been made to The Jesus and Mary Chain and My Bloody Valentine and even though their music feels like it could have been made in 1985 most of it (at least the good stuff) was made more than 15 years later.
With the release of David I feel like the band has turned a new page. Some have referred to their music as dream pop which I think fits this release perfectly. It is full of sweeping harps, catchy xylophones, soul guitars, 80's drum machines, and distorted synthesizers. The first 3 songs are brilliant and the last is just great. One of the 4 tracks is a Rice Twins remix of the song David and is one of the best remixes I have ever heard. It is easily as good if not better than the original. You can go to the band's website and download a free copy of the song David as well. After all, what have you got to lose?

www.theradiodept.com

9.5/10 By Chris L.

No comments:

Post a Comment